As the Public Services (Social Value) Act comes into force on 31st January 2013, there have been a flurry of articles and comments. Here are a few I’ve noticed:
- the Guardian tells us What the third sector needs to consider when competing for contracts – giving some guidance on the questions you night need to ask yourself, although they seem to be focussed on taking over existing contracts, staff and premises.
- Another Guardian article highlights that 48% of comissioning staff haven’t even heard of the Social Value Act: Council staff lack skills to commission public services, survey finds. Shocking reading for those of us who think of the commissioners as the experts in everything!
- Peter Holbrook, CEO of Social Enterprise UK, has a letter published in The Times, calling for the government to put its full weight behind the Social Value Act
- Last week the Guardian Social Enterprise section held a live debate (scroll down for the discussion in the comments section) on the Impact of the Social Value Act, with some great input and informed comment
- and the government has published its guidance for commissioners
Plenty of reading there!