On 1st May, Rosemary and I facilitated an Understanding Social Value Discussion Group, on behalf of Sarah Dewar of Liverpool CCG.
This is the first in a series of discussions that are being held as part of the Third Sector Support Programme, and build on the work we have been doing with Sarah to date, as well as supporting the sustainability work within the NHS by exploring how the NHS is going to take forward its commitment to social value.
Discussions are being held with providers, commissioners and procurement representatives, and this discussion was for current or potential third sector suppliers, giving them a way to provide input into the process and develop a shared understanding of Social Value as the NHS moves forward.
Rosemary introduced the session and Sarah Dewar gave some background about the incoming CCG and NHS Trust values. there were plenty of questions about the NHS’s response to the Social Value Act, and how this would affect commissioning and procurement.
Participants broke into three groups, and considered what they would like to see in a social value framework, broadly following the three areas:
- Increase independence and wellbeing
- Increase community and service user involvement in health
- Increase meaningful occupation / employment
coming back with lots of interesting and practical suggestions. The follow-up discussion centred on measuring social value, and how to do it; the commissioning approach, and the value that Third sector organisations can offer.
All in all, it was a very productive afternoon, much appreciated by all present, who were keen to continue to be involved and consultated.
- Sarah Dewar, Third Sector & Environmental Sustainability Lead, Liverpool CCG
- Claire Donovan, Aurora Media
- Helen Flett, People First
- Gary Spinks, People First
- Vivien Graham, PSS
- Alena Slaninova, Genie in the Gutter
- Di Burbidge, Chinese Wellbeing
- David Carter, Whitechapel Centre
- Marko Muller, Crass Routes
- Maddy Vaz, Sanctuary Family Support
- Clare Corran, Positive Futures North Liverpool
- Breege McDaid, Irish Community Care Merseyside
- Angharad Williams, Healthy Spaces Coordinator, FACT
- Michelle Smith, The Basement
- Bec Fearon, The Blue Room – Bluecoat
- Dave Roberts, Independence Initiative.